The advent of coronavirus pandemic has brought about so many changes to our digital world. Along with new technological developments, we can witness clever hackers making way to our systems. They are trying their best and always strive hard to gain access to our system. Nowadays, they have found out a new way to do this. Since when the hashtags #Staysafe and #Shelterinplace started trending on the internet, hackers started to sending personal emails to people.
With these emails, they send attachments that contain viruses in them. Continue reading his informative post if you wish to learn the possible ways to know if you have been hacked or not. Also, we will discuss some of the ways to stay protected in such alarming situations.
Know if you have been hacked
There are some possible ways to know if your email account has been hacked or not and these are as follows:
- Your contacts are receiving emails that are not sent by you- when you come across a situation when your contacts have informed you that they are receiving some emails that are actually not sent by you.
- The password which you regularly use may not work seem to work– the online password which you generally use to log in to your email account doesn’t let you access the account. You also notice the incorrect password on your screen despite making several login attempts. Once the kicker makes way to your computer through malware. He can easily gain access to all your accounts and know the credentials for each one of them.
- Downgrading PC performance- when the performance of your PC seemingly starts to deteriorate and becomes sluggish. Then you should note that there is some malicious activity going on your device. Spyware might be the cause behind it and it may tamper with your files.
Things to do when your email is hacked
- Immediately change the password- the first thing you should do when you witness any malicious activity on your account is to change the password of all the accounts that you use on your device. This will prevent future attempts for a hacker to gain access to your email. Make sure to use a complex password that you have never used with a combination of letters and numerals.
- Speak to those in your contacts- make sure to have a word with those whom you regularly send emails. Ask them not to open an email sent by you because it might have malware in it.
- Change the security question of your account- in case you have set a security question on your email account, then you should change it immediately.
- Enable MFA- for adding an additional layer of security to your accounts, users are suggested to turn on multi-factor authentication. When you enable this, you need to complete the authentication process along with entering your password.
- Regularly scan your PC for malware- use an effective antivirus or anti-malware solution. McAfee.com/activate Total Protection to keep the security of your device updated.
Make sure you stay alert at all times while using your device. In case you notice any suspicious activity on your device, run a scan using the antivirus software your device has.
Read More:- McAfee 25 digit activation code?